Saturday, August 22, 2009

Zucchini Boats


I was in my garden with my hands on my hips surveying my late tomato crop (a cool summer means they aren’t ripening very fast). And while I was bemoaning my lack of ripe tomatoes, I spied a large green object on the ground. “Watermelon!” I thought. Then I realized that we didn’t plant watermelon this year. A closer look revealed that it was a giant zucchini—the size of a small canoe.

I leaned in to pick it (wrestle it was more like it) and I saw several others. I hauled out four whoppers. Too big to sauté (I like smaller, less seedy and fibrous squash), I decided to make zucchini bread. But my recipe calls for just 2 cups per loaf, which hardly makes a dent in my massive squash stockpile.

They are sitting like vegetable missiles on my counter taunting me. I’m open to suggestions of how to use them.

2 comments:

  1. Perhaps you can make zucchini boats -- slice the squash in half length-wise, place cut side down on cookie sheet and bake until tender, scoop out the insides (leaving enough to provide stability for the sides of your boats) and combine with whatever strikes your fance.
    sausage
    stuffing mix
    bread crumbs
    cornbread
    cheese
    spices
    chopped tomatoes
    sauteed onions
    return the mixture to the "boats" and sprinkle with parmesan cheese -- return to oven and bake until top is beginning to brown and cheese melts.
    They are good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The zucchini boats sound good. I like to make squash casserole when I get a huge squash: Grated squash, buttered cracker crumbs, eggs, cheese with some onion, garlic, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Don't forget to save some cracker crumbs to put on top!
    Mary Fay Day

    ReplyDelete