Wednesday, September 30, 2009

It's Apple Time


In the September issue of Better Homes and Gardens magazine, I did an interview with a Seattle family who created a gorgeous (and fruitful) garden fence using espalier apple trees. Espalier is a way of pruning and training a tree to grow sideways and in this garden the trees are planted like they are holding hands around the yard. This pruning method is often used in formal gardens as a decorative way to grow fruit. (In fact, espaliered apples are used in Monet’s garden in Giverny as a low-growing fence.) But it’s also an efficient way to raise apples and pears because of the small amount of space the trees take.

1 comment:

  1. I loved reading your monthly stories in Country Home. It would be great if you could continue that style of writing here on your blog. I would laugh out loud, and read them to my husband. I enjoyed hearing about your farm and all its animals.

    ReplyDelete