Thursday, October 21, 2010

Book Cover Photo?

Amid my other writing projects (oh yeah, and I'm trying to paint all our fences before the weather turns cold), I'm making the final edits of my book of essays about living in the country. The working title is So Much Sky.

My son Graham took the photo above of our Katahdin ewe and Haflinger Sam standing together in our barnyard one evening. It's a really awesome (and oddly bizarre) composition. As it's fairly difficult (okay, impossible!) to pose livestock (especially multiple species), getting a shot like this is pure luck. The sun rays shooting out of the clouds are a bonus. We have amazing sunsets at the farm, but this one is especially celestial.

My friend Sundie is designing the book cover using this photo. It's a horizontal photo that needs to go on a vertical book cover. I hope it works out.

6 comments:

  1. Oh WOW, Graham's photo is AMAZING, but you can't lose the animals OR the sky and sun rays. This will be perfect for your new book.

    Sending love to you and Big D,

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. This photo is quite magical! Makes one think living on the farm has mystical charm!
    I popped over from Sharon's blog after seeing the gorgeous photo on her page.
    Look forward to your book!
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Karen, What a great photo! I have not visited in a while and was so happy to read you are writing a book! I am trying to go through all my old mags to purge and just read your piece about budgies and was laughing my head off again! I really miss reading your column every month, it was the first thing I read in Country Home. I hope 2011 is good to you and your family, looking forward to reading your book. Here is a link if you have not already found Jenna, she is a wonderful writer and kindred spirit. http://coldantlerfarm.blogspot.com
    Happy New Year! Karen from CT

    ReplyDelete
  4. I stumbled upon your blog after googling your name - I too miss Country Home and your column. I have many of my old issues and when I revisit I always read your column. I do hope you are busy writing your book and might be back to blogland soon! Or perhaps I can find you elsewhere in other magazines!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful photo! I loved your articles in CH, the first thing I read. When will your book be published, I can't wait!!:)
    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!!! What a pic - so much....sky! My eyes were really drawn to the sky at first - but yes - the animals are semi-surreal - your son has talent!! Use this pic!!!!!

    ReplyDelete